Tuesday 9 July 2013

Glastonbury: A Hardcore Perspective

Connect with The Hardcore Review ]

           

Glastonbury: A Hardcore Perspective

Though the lack of Hardcore was evident, the atmosphere and spirit are shared more than most would probably consider

I will immediately preface this piece by apologising for a lack of material of late. I have recently started a new job and time kind of runs away when you're not paying attention.  

I have also been meaning to write an article for weeks about some of the fantastic new music that has come out from GTYM, FutureWorld, Justice & Klubbed Up lately, which I will look to get to in the next week or so. (Edit: As I was writing this, I became aware of the announcement that Executive Records is to be shut down in the coming weeks. I will be writing a full retrospective article on this fantastic label soon)

But I thought, while it's fresh in my mind, I would concentrate on a huge event that I recently attended. I am speaking, of course, of Glastonbury, the UK's biggest music festival. 

On a personal note, I was very excited about Glastonbury. I have a hugely eclectic musical taste, and, much like our own DJ Gammer, I draw inspiration from as far afield as Fatboy Slim, Bing Crosby and Metallica. The chance to see the original rocking ravers, the Rolling Stones, was probably once in a lifetime, and one I am thankful I took. Along the way, I took in Sir Bruce Forsyth, Flux Pavilion, Dermot O'Leary and a very special raver's favourite (more on that in a minute). 

The thing that struck me most was the general camaraderie between the various tribes camping and dancing near each other. I must have met a hundred different people over the course of the festival, and not once did anyone pass on a negative word to another. North to South, Black to White, Raver to Rocker, everyone got on and made the spirit of the festival phenomenal, and one that I will always treasure. 

This leads me to the connection. I have been to many a rave in my time, and have found predominantly the same atmosphere, though I remember a small Hardcore Heaven event in Liverpool back in 2006, where a guy ran over, dumped his drink on the huge muscled man in front, and ran off. He turned around and glared at me, then said "You just pour your drink on me?" I refuted his claim and he turned on my friend to ask the same question. When he also denied it, he simply turned around and carried on raving. 

The other element that links Glastonbury with any UK Hardcore rave is the love of the music. That's why we're here, why you're reading this now, why we all have such strong opinions on Dubcore and Drumstep and Powerstomp and whatever else comes about. Music should, first and foremost, emote. And as I watched Billy 'Daniel' Bunter, a rave legend, at 5am at The Common stage on Sunday morning at Glastonbury play virtually every type of rave music possible (although my journalistic skills were not as well honed after a bottle of vodka and several beers, so I could be wrong there), I couldn't have been prouder to say that I love music, and I love Hardcore.

Were you at Glastonbury? Any thoughts? Leave your comments below...


Got a comment? Enter it below

OR 

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter or send us an email!


Current Classic Track of Choice:     Billy 'Daniel' Bunter & D-Zyne - Ride Like the Wind
(and, as a bonus for you modern music lovers, check out the 2009 version)

No comments:

Post a Comment